Today’s Workshop

As a class:

1. Write for five minutes about any useful advice you found in either of the chapters we read for today.
  2. We’ll listen to a few of your example moments from the assigned Micropolis episodes.

In your groups:

1. Touch base about where you are with your episode. What audio have you collected? What do you still need?
  2. Take a step back and consider what you have in relation to your story question: “I’m telling a story about X, and it’s interesting because Y.” Are you being specific enough with X and Y? How can you get more particular, more concrete, more human? Does your sentence make it clear what’s at stake–for whoever the episode is about and for the listener? (See examples below for guidance.)
  3. Discuss the bulleted list of questions on pp. 184 & 106 of The NPR Podcast Startup Guide.
  4. Now, return to your sound. Consider the advice we discussed from the chapters, along with editing techniques from various podcasts. What can you do with editing to advance your story in lively ways? How will you edit for STRUCTURE, and what techniques will you use for PARTICULAR MOMENTS OR SEGMENTS?

Strong Story Sentences

“I’m telling a story about the drama on real housewives of New Jersey. It’s interesting because my guest and I dig into the ways the show is produced to compel the characters to create drama, therefore reinforcing gender stereotypes.”

“I’m telling a story about whether or not Michael Jackson should be canceled. It’s interesting because people have such divergent views on whether or not artists’ personal behavior can be separated from the art they create.”

“I’m telling a story about the daycare center at Queens College. It’s interesting because it reveals the complex–and fascinating–lives of college students who are also parents.”

Weak–Too General–Story Sentences

“I’m telling a story about the real housewives. It’s interesting because so many people watch it.”

“I’m telling a story about Michael Jackson’s career. It’s interesting because he is controversial.”

“I’m telling a story about the daycare center at Queens College. It’s interesting because not a lot of people know about it.”